Thinking about going plant based? It can be a big decision and can be intimidating. We're here to tell you that plant-based eating is easier than you think and we're here to help! Here are some of the basics to helping you stay on track with your plant-based adventure:
1. Educate yourself. There's a lot of information out there about the best way to go plant-based and the reasons why you should go plant-based at all. Make sure you do your research and pick the diet that best fits your needs and motivations.
2. Make sure you're getting enough nutrients from a variety of sources. There is a huge variety of vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function well. So, when you're eating plant-based, try to avoid overdo-ing it on the veggies. You also need to save some room for proteins and grains.
3. Plan ahead. If you’re in a pinch and you forgot to bring a lunch to work, you might have to opt for that pre-made sandwich from the cafeteria. To avoid this, plan ahead. Meal planning can help you ensure that you have a healthy, well balanced plant-based lunch everyday without stress. It’s also helpful to keep plant-based alternatives on hand for a day when you might forget your lunch or you’re just getting tired of salad (this happens). Chef Soraya is shelf stable and only needs hot water to be ready in minutes. Keep a few varieties in your desk drawer and you wont have anything to worry about when lunch time comes around.
4. Eat healthy fats. Healthy fats are a great way to stay satiated. And when you're satiated, it's easier to stick to your diet (no one likes to go hungry). Plus, your body needs healthy fats in order to absorb fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A and D. You can find these healthy fats in foods like hemp seeds (another ingredient in Chef Soraya bowls), avocados, chia seeds, and nuts.
5. Don't be so hard on yourself. Even if you’re not ready to commit to a 100% plant-based lifestyle right away, that’s ok! You can make an impact on the environment and your own health by simply choosing to cut back on animal products or choosing to only eat animal products from sources practicing regenerative agriculture. If you want to start out just cutting out meat one day a week, that’s awesome! Make the choice that's right for you. We like to recommend Meatless Mondays. It’s easy to remember and a great way to start off your week.