I’m sure we’ve all heard the word “detox” being thrown around in various contexts. Especially as of late, when it seems like people are focused on their health more than ever. It’s a buzzword that simply means to rid your body of toxins. This is something your body actually does naturally through various systems but especially through the liver and kidneys. A detox program is something we can do to aid the body in this natural process and promote general health and well being. A healthy detox is generally considered a great idea but it’s important that you go about it the right way. It can aid in weight-loss and management, clearer skin, healthier hair, mental clarity, and a number of other benefits.
The idea of a detox might conjure up some negative connotations like being hungry all the time or drinking gross expensive drinks, but a detox doesn’t have to be that way. A detox strategy can be anything that helps the body get rid of toxins and who doesn’t want to carry around less of that? In fact, there are easy ways you can integrate detox strategies into your every day life that will hardly cost you a thing and you might actually enjoy.
- Sweat - Not only is regular exercise great for your health, sweat is another way your body naturally releases toxins! You can get sweat out in other ways besides exercise, such as an Epsom salt bath or a sauna. Just make sure you’re keeping hydrated as you sweat it out.
- Drink Water - Water is key to keeping things moving through your waste elimination system. Stay hydrated by drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning before your coffee or tea. Throughout the day, try drinking water infused with mint, lemon, or ginger to keep you motivated to stay hydrated and give your natural detox an extra boost.
- Eat Fiber - The little known secret about fiber is that it’s great for eliminating toxins from the body. There are two types of fiber - soluble and insoluble. You need both in your diet to help eliminate toxins. A great source for this fiber is beans. Beans are one of our favorite subjects here at Chef Soraya because we know how important they are! 25 grams of fiber a day is recommended by the American Heart Association. If you’re looking for a quick high fiber lunch, we’ve got you covered! A bowl of Chef Soraya contains up to 9 grams of fiber, making it a great plant-based addition to your diet.
- Eat Organic Produce - By choosing organic produce, you’re keeping more of those chemicals from entering your body that you’re already trying to loose. Non-organic produce can be heavily sprayed with pesticides as we all know, and by going organic it’s a simple way to avoid them. If all your produce isn’t organic, just try to keep the “Dirty Dozen” out of your shopping cart. The dirty dozen is a list of the most commonly sprayed crops that still have pesticide residue on them when they enter the grocery store. Alternatively, try shopping for the “Clean 15” which is a list of the least chemically exposed produce.
- Support Your Immune System - A healthy immune system means your body will have less to worry about when it comes to keeping you healthy and can focus on eliminating excess toxins. Sleep is an easy way to support our immune system, plus the body does plenty of detoxing while you sleep! Managing stress levels and a proper diet are also key to supporting the immune system and just make you feel better altogether.
- Dry Brushing - This is a fairly new trend in the detox world but it’s an interesting one to consider. Dry brushing is supposed to be supportive of the lymphatic system. This is the system of your body that produces and carries cells that helps the body fight disease and illness. Dry brushing is a dry bristle massage that your can give yourself everyday. It stimulates blood flow and eliminates dead skin cells as well.
- Breathe Deep - Don’t just breathe, breathe deeply. A dedicated breathing practice throughout your day can not only reduce stress, but it will help your body rid more of those pesky toxins. The simplest breathing exercise you can do takes no time at all. Simply take a deep breath in, hold for 2-3 seconds, and slowly release, and repeat.