Self-Care In a Pandemic
As we are adapting to life in a pandemic, our routines are changing dramatically. Interestingly - and perhaps, not so surprisingly - the health and wellness industry is booming during these uncertain times, as consumers are looking for ways to up their immunity and better themselves with the extra time on their hands. We hope that as our world has slowed down, you are also taking care of yourself. If you need some inspiration for how to do so, read on.
Put Your Own Mask on Before Helping Others!
Self-care is sometimes thought of as being selfish but the truth of the matter is that if you don’t take care of yourself, you won’t be able to care for others. Stress and overwhelm are directly linked to weakened immune function, which is the last thing we want during a pandemic!
5 Self-Care Ideas
- Make Your Own Facemask: Yes, make your own protective facemask for going to the grocery store but make your own skincare facemask as well! Bring the spa to you with a DIY face mask using soothing ingredients like yogurt, avocado, honey, cinnamon, turmeric, and/or banana. Get creative with your facemask mixture! Invite your family or roommates to do the facemask with you, enjoy a glass of wine and just relax. You can even put on some spa music and light some candles to truly set the mood.
- Establish a Meditation Routine: Not everyone loves to meditate, we get it. But studies have shown that meditation is one of the best ways to combat stress. It also helps to boost immune health as well! Start by sitting at the edge of your bed every morning simply noticing your thoughts and focusing on your breath for a few minutes. If practiced daily, you’ll form a healthy habit in no time.
- Up Your Magnesium Intake: Studies indicate that about 50% of people in the US & Europe get less than the recommended daily amount of magnesium. But did you know that every single cell in our body contains magnesium and needs it to function? Yep, this mineral is pretty important and is amazing at alleviating stress, anxiety, depression, and other health concerns. Up your intake of foods high in magnesium like hemp seeds (found in our Chef Soraya bowls), cooked-beans (also found in Chef Soraya bowls), soy products, and nuts.
- Make a Fun and Nourishing Recipe: Cooking is a natural stress reliever! We know, we know, you may not like to cook because it feels overwhelming and time-consuming. Mama Mia! Instead, of viewing cooking as a chore, try to think of it as a creative outlet. If you need some inspiration, this Chef Soraya Inspired Arancini Recipe is not only fun to make but is also fun to eat! Serve with a big salad, some delicious Italian wine, and you have an easy Italian dinner that everyone will enjoy.
- Connect From a Distance: Social support and social interaction are vital to human beings' health. It lowers the occurrence of stress, depression, anxiety, and highly affects our endocrine-immune system (oh, hello again immune health!). So, even if we are supposed to be socially distant from one another, at the end of the day people need people. We recommend scheduling social time with friends and family members via Zoom or Facetime, and perhaps, you can even host a virtual dinner party where everyone makes the recipe. Might we suggest that Chef Soraya Inspired Arancini Recipe?
So, go ahead, we give you permission to treat yourself and add a little self-care into your daily routine. Try one or all of these tips and show yourself in the act by sharing a photo on social media tagging us @Chefsoraya!
Leave a comment